PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

gonereefin
05-31-2004, 02:43 PM
For those that do not know. It's not just a day for BBQ's, going to the beach and having fun. Although, what we enjoy today, many sacrificed to secure these freedoms for us.

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. It is about reconcilation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/

nalbar
05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
that's for politicians. for the average person its for BBQ and getting drunk.

nalbar

gonereefin
05-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Speak for yourself.... I was a college student and am definitely not a politician... but still know about Memorial Day and still pay homage and remember those who gave to our country. I still throw good BBQ's... and drink beer... and have fun on this day "Memorial Day" and always consider myself tucked into society as a "normal" person , but still know the main reason for this day.

What are you guys... communist? LOL

nalbar
05-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by gonereefin

What are you guys... communist? LOL

you say that like it would be an insult!

btw, you should perhaps inform yourself. no country celebrated national days more than the soviet union. in fact, if you did NOT celebrate the police came and got you. this was because totalitarian governments use nationalism to distract the populace and disparage 'outsiders'.

its a trick ALL governments use when they need to. freedom to doubt and celebrate the way YOU feel is correct is also a right verterans died for, not just politically correct versions of celebration.

nalbar

ronreef
05-31-2004, 07:45 PM
you say that like it would be an insult!

I thought it was meant as insult... I hope he meant it as an insult.

Tell us, NALBAR, how do you really feel about communism?!
Are you an American? If so, I would be ashamed to call you one.

China is right across the Pacific. I am sure Russia would accept you with open arms.

Days like this are lost on people like you. If it wasn't for the hundreds of thousands of vets who served, fought and died to serve the USA. People like you would have turned us over to communism long ago.

nalbar
05-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by ronreef

China is right across the Pacific. I am sure Russia would accept you with open arms.

good god. its BS comments like this that make me hang my head. this shows a total inability to even recognize what makes america strong. the last thing i need is someone who has no clue on what america is all about trying to define my 'americanism'. i just LOVE the 'ol 'if you don't like it go somewhere else' attitudes that have become so popular.

dood, your perception is like a parking lot after a rain storm. it looks like a lot of water, but it's only a quarter inch deep. you purposely refused to read what i wrote, and only saw what you wanted.

LOL! i guess that famous quote is true;

'patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel'

nalbar

ronreef
05-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Likewise.

If you choose to see it as BS. Fine. It's your right. Believe it or not, hundreds of thousands of men and women died for your right to express yourself. Do you get it, or did you purposely refuse to read what i wrote, and only see what you want?

I feel sorry for you.

So, are you an American? Please say "No"... LOL ...

SanDiegoReefs
05-31-2004, 09:49 PM

Tell us, NALBAR, how do you really feel about communism?!

Hahaha, this mindset always cracks me up.

At what point did support of any certain economic system represent someone's sense of nationalism? And when will people stop associating the word communism with fascism? Let's clarify. Communism is an economic system based on collective ownership of property, in hopes of benefiting all members. Fascism would be the dictatorship (non-democracy) that you're probably thinking of when you hear "communism." I don't see where people get off as though communism were anti-democratic by nature, or as though it were inherently fascist. IT'S NOT! Get over it.

Besides, I think the most anti-American thing I've seen in this whole thread is the most ignorant blurb of all: "China is right across the Pacific. I am sure Russia would accept you with open arms." Hah, I mean seriously... give me a break. Since when did "American" come to mean "close minded and ignorant." Wait a minute.... that's why a lot of other countries have a problem with us. But hey, let's keep on yelling at those who REALIZE it... and tell them to "move to China." The sooner they leave, the sooner we can get back to being blindly patriotic. You know, it IS possible to support you country, while wanting change. I'm sure a lot of people would agree, given some of the current affairs. Yes it's possible to support troops, but not the war... And also possible to support your country, but push for new leadership. THAT is what America is all about. Not saying "accept it or leave."

And lastly, yes, Memorial day is a MEMORIAL day... and is definitely a good thing. There have been many people who have served this country and it's great to recognize them. I agree that it should be taken more seriously, and am disappointed in its strong associated with only BBQ/BEER/DAY-OFF... I thought the original post was a great gesture. Now let's cool it... and all go back to our happy little reef tanks.

-moore

BlueLagoonSD
05-31-2004, 09:54 PM
you go jason:)

nalbar
05-31-2004, 10:01 PM
wow moore, im VERY impressed. you get it, you REALLY do. i am particularly impressed about how you clarified the VERY common 'commie' mixup.

nice post!

nalbar

SanDiegoReefs
05-31-2004, 10:12 PM
chap-- no problem about the swearing, I know this is a very passionate subject for people who have served.

nalbar-- thanks.

Sooo, time to hijack the thread. I just setup one of those SEIOs that Stan ordered. They're pretty nice. I got the 620, thinking the 820 would have been too much flow. Aaaand, of course I regret not getting the bigger one... oh well.

Nice pumps, nice wide flow, and LOTS of mounting options.

-moore

ronreef
05-31-2004, 10:17 PM
I stand corrected on the Communism and Facism mix-up. I know better.

Hey Jason,
How's that new Monti doing?
Ron

ronreef
05-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Let me know if this coming weekend is a good time check out your tanks.

gonereefin
06-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Moore – I am glad you finally stepped off your soapbox. It was getting too much to bear. The ol’ sphincter muscle seems a little tight, huh? Loosen up, man…it’s not going to hurt. Even I saw the humor in ronreef’s posts, and I am generally known as humorless. Either that or you know the guy pretty well and you based your rant on knowing the person. If not, if you based your little rant on a few posts in a couple threads you’ve read. Then your misguidance and ignorance is more severe than I thought. Relatively put of course. I don’t care to know you. No offense.

Wouldn’t you hate it if your character was judged based on e-mails? Yeah, I know… This is America you can say what you want when you want…blah, blah, blah. Suffice is to say, I find it pretty safe writing from in front of a computer monitor too.

What cracks me up is people like you would rather fight, argue with and almost hate fellow Americans based on their political values rather than realize who the real enemy is. Get this… it’s not the President of the United States.

Ronreef- You wimped out, man. You let moore off the hook too easily. All he was doing was whining. Step up to the plate and swing dammit!

NALBAR – Meds are in the cabinet. Open it. Pull the stick out too.

Remember the moral of the story here: Memorial Day.

Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery was astoundingly beautiful yesterday. Ever been there? Enlighten yourself and pay a visit.

Fare thee well!

PS- This thread will self-destruct soon.

nalbar
06-01-2004, 07:55 AM
LOL!

SDMike
06-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by gonereefin PS- This thread will self-destruct soon. [/B]

Yeah, but there were a few posts that hit a nerve...

Heck! Even I could tell Nalbar was pushing buttons on purpose.

I got lucky. I came within inches of not having a father when he was in Vietnam. He wasn't so lucky, HIS dad died during WW2.

AS much as I like the day off to go Hashing and drinking (not that I did much drinking: I'm allergic to DUIs!) it really is about the men and women that died so we can snipe at each other from behind our keyboards. That we're talking in English, not any other language is testimony that sometimes freedom IS worth dying for.

Ya gotta remember that there's certain things that we all have to agree to disagree on:

Sports
Politics
Religion
Women (men if you're female)

VERY strong emotions are tied to these and you aren't going to change MY mind any more than I'm going to change YOUR mind.

Anyway, back to the reefing, I'm done with my lecture.

M

SanDiegoReefs
06-01-2004, 11:21 AM
[B]Moore – I am glad you finally stepped off your soapbox. It was getting too much to bear. The ol’ sphincter muscle seems a little tight, huh? Loosen up, man…it’s not going to hurt.

Hah, gonereefin.... I rarely take anything or anyone seriously. I was just joining in on the fun. It's easy to forget that we are judged here solely on our posts, and that most of us don't know each other well enough to tell if we're kidding or serious, or a little of both. I was just trying to have some fun with everyone. I have nothing but love for my fellow reefers, ha.

What cracks me up is people like you

People like me? Not sure what you think I'm like, but I'd say you based it on the few posts that you read in this thread. Didn't you just say that makes someone ignorant? Passing character judgements based on a few posts. You can't really get on my case for that, and then turn around and say "people like you." You don't know me... and if you did, you'd know I'm KIDDING. I mean geez... look at the picture in the 500g tank thread of me on that stupid pocket rocket. I'm almost always joking around, and this thread has been no exception.

would rather fight, argue with and almost hate fellow Americans based on their political values rather than realize who the real enemy is.

Where did this come from? I was saying that possibly the greatest thing about being American is being able to have our own opinions on things, specifically political values in this case. That's why I said that possibly the most un-American thing in the post was the close-minded "accept it or leave." For all I know, Ron was half-kidding, so I'm not calling HIM un-American. I was simply saying that to tell someone that he should leave this country because he might have a different political view is possibly more un-American than actually having a different view. I think it's the acceptance of different view points and opinions that helps make America what it is.

Get this… it’s not the President of the United States.
Again, I never said this. I hope you weren't implying that I did. If that's how you interpretted my EXAMPLE of administrative change, then I should have used a different example. I only wanted to emphasize that we are all entitled to our own political views, some are happy with Bush, and some aren't. I honestly don't know if I could have done a better job if I were in the White House, so I'm not going to pass judgement.

NALBAR – Meds are in the cabinet. Open it. Pull the stick out too.

C'mon... childish personal attacks have no place here.

Originally posted by SDMike
Ya gotta remember that there's certain things that we all have to agree to disagree on:

Sports
Politics
Religion
Women (men if you're female)

VERY strong emotions are tied to these and you aren't going to change MY mind any more than I'm going to change YOUR mind.

I think this is a great place to leave things. Well put Mike. And, I too, am extremely thankful for those who have served. My grandfather was shot down in WW2 and spent a days living in the woods before he was caught and sent to POW camp. The things that he, and all other soldiers, have gone through still amaze me... and I think they all deserve more than one day a year to be remembered. I move for a Memorial Day #2.

-moore

brahm
06-01-2004, 01:49 PM
I am sure Russia would accept you with open arms.

..russians aren't communist anymore.

brahm
06-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Likewise.

If you choose to see it as BS. Fine. It's your right. Believe it or not, hundreds of thousands of men and women died for your right to express yourself. Do you get it, or did you purposely refuse to read what i wrote, and only see what you want?

I feel sorry for you.

So, are you an American? Please say "No"... LOL ...

So all these people died so we can express are selves and then be told to leave the country by sombody who thinks just because your opinion isn't in line with theres they aren't american.. hmmm

brahm
06-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
wow moore, im VERY impressed. you get it, you REALLY do. i am particularly impressed about how you clarified the VERY common 'commie' mixup.

nice post!

nalbar

rofl were you and moore on the iraq thread.. geez, good to know that somebody elses gets it.

brahm
06-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Chap
I have to pick mine up from Stan tomorrow. Ordered 2 of the 620's for our 55 :D Can't wait to mess with them!!
speaking of pumps I ordred one 8, and 1 6 you gotta tell me how that 6 does i'm wondering if the 8 will be to much.

brahm
06-01-2004, 01:55 PM
[B]

Ronreef- You wimped out, man. You let moore off the hook too easily. All he was doing was whining. Step up to the plate and swing dammit!

comedy, any response other then what you agree with is whining.

brahm
06-01-2004, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE][i] "people like you."[QUOTE]

err I've been tainted by that phrase, I had to layout some catoluge with a record label called People Like You, and there slogan is "I used to ******* People Like You in Prison" now every time i hear that phrase I think of that label.. thanks..

http://www.peoplelikeyou.de/

btw good music though (if you like rockabilly)

brahm
06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
..oh and on the original topic, I'm all for memorial day I wish more people would realize what some of these holidays are about and quit using them for another excuse to sh!tfaced.

SDMike
06-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by brahm
..oh and on the original topic, I'm all for memorial day I wish more people would realize what some of these holidays are about and quit using them for another excuse to sh!tfaced.

re: getting plowed... and what pray tell is wrong with that? I mean really? We've got New Years, St. Patrick's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, and just a few others to "have an excuse to get sh!tfaced.

Nothing better than having an excuse... Beats making it up!

M

ronreef
06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, go Detroit! Kick the Lakers down.

brahm
06-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, go Detroit! Kick the Lakers down.

lakers shamkers, GO FLAMES!

ronreef
06-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Flames? Hockey? What's that?

MrKrispy
06-02-2004, 06:26 PM
no one pointed out that Brahm now holds the record for most consecutive replies in a row.

brahm
06-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
no one pointed out that Brahm now holds the record for most consecutive replies in a row.

than you, thank you.. I'm glad to be here today, I couldn't have made it this far without the love and support from all of you.