PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby

Wu tang
05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Hey guys new to this whole aquarium hobby it always got my interest but never had the money so here I am with a new job that pays more with less hours thought I might try this hobby out. Any suggestions and what size tank? I read people say at least a 55 gallon but I kinda want to go smaller. I'm trying to put fish and corals

wholagan
05-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Really depends on what kind of fish you want to keep as well as your budget. The bigger the tank the more expensive the equipment will be not to mention stocking it. If I were to start again I would have loved to start with at minimum a 90g.

Wu tang
05-04-2013, 07:03 PM
The thing is I live in an apt and I live on the third floor I mean they never mentioned anything about keeping a fish tank but don't want to take my chances yeah I saw one for sale for 100 bucks but I think that would be a little to heavy for my apt I was thinking a bowfront but not to sure like a 46 I really want to get like a tang but those are min of 75 gallon

Wu tang
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
They don't make 55 gallon bowfronts do they?

JustKeepSwimmin
05-05-2013, 12:14 AM
When I lived in an apartment we had a thirty or thirty five gal bowfront and a ten gallon mini reef, plus frog, rats etc. lol. A whole lot the management didn't see :lol: I know that just in general smaller tanks are harder to maintain because they don't handle parameter fluctuations as well and things like that, but my first tank was a forty gal and I really liked that size for just familiarizing myself with the hobby and the livestock. It wasn't so small that the the slightest thing could poison it, but it wasn't so big that you need a whole separate room for the thing. Just my two cents from what I've done, which isn't much. Good luck!