PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 12g nano

Starrmsp
04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
So I just purchased a 12 gal JBJ nano with LED. Cute little tank although a little disappointed as I expected it to hold at least 10g of water, holds less than eight with one bag or sand and a small amount of live rock.

I just set it up as is, no modifications to the chamber in the back. I would like to know everyone's recommended modifications to this tank that could easily be made by a not so handy me :) Want to add a skimmer for sure but not sure what one would work best or even fit in the back.

I plan to have a few fish, a shrimp, crab etc. one anemone, and zoos for now.

onyong4u
04-14-2013, 04:05 PM
You can get a nano skimmer but on a 12 g nano I do not think you really need one as long as you do your regular water change every week. Might want to add some LR rubble and maybe Carbon on the back chamber.
I have 14g Biocube that I am about to set up and Not planning to use skimmer. No heavy feeding and just regular WC.

jmoney619
04-14-2013, 04:28 PM
I have a bc14 without a skimmer. I do water changes every 2 weeks and change out the filter every month which has carbon. I replaced the stock pump with a mj900 and the lighting with ecoxotic panorama pro LEDs. By far the easiest tank to maintain for me.

onyong4u
04-14-2013, 04:34 PM
I have a bc14 without a skimmer. I do water changes every 2 weeks and change out the filter every month which has carbon. I replaced the stock pump with a mj900 and the lighting with ecoxotic panorama pro LEDs. By far the easiest tank to maintain for me.
Nice! I am building my stand tomorrow. So, that would be my little project!

Starrmsp
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys that kind of what I thought. I've just always had a skimmer and sump on my other tanks but then again they were larger.

I think I"m going to replace the pump this evening. The stock pump seems to create alot of flow (almost to much?) but it is very limited as far as adjusting the direction of flow. It is blowing sand all over the rock no matter which way I point it. And it makes too much noise.

Is there a good pump that is more adjustable or maybe that rotates on its own?

nita
04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
I had the same nano! Loved it! But I changed my pump to a rotating one. I believe I got it at vets pets. It was a while back. But after that, I had no issues with the sand blowing everywhere. I think I have the skimmer made for that tank still. May need a new block. Hmu if you need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starrmsp
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
I am loving the tank so far! The biggest problem I have right now is my Nitrates are high (around 20pp) and haven't been getting any better, water changes don't appear to be helping. Ammonia and Nitrite are both at zero and have been for quite some time. I think I'm going to remove all the stock stuff that comes in the back chambers and just run with only a heater for awhile to see what happens. I'll try it on my next water change Saturday and see what happens next week. I think all those sponges, bio balls and ceramic rings back there may be the cause.

@nita Let me know if you still have that skimmer. I'll ask around to see what another option in replacing the duck bill output with something else. I have the DX version, do you think the skimmer would fit?

nita
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
i do still have the skimmer and it will fit, it's the same tank i had, fits right in the back. i had it in the 2nd chamber... or the middle one. i did not use any of the bio balls or sponges and all that other stuff... i just had a couple small pieces of live rock, carbon (chemipure), and a small chunk of chaeto back there. i would definitely remove all that stuff in the back. my nitrates were a little on the high side when all that stuff was there. when i switched.. didn't have a problem anymore.

i'll shoot you a pm

I am loving the tank so far! The biggest problem I have right now is my Nitrates are high (around 20pp) and haven't been getting any better, water changes don't appear to be helping. Ammonia and Nitrite are both at zero and have been for quite some time. I think I'm going to remove all the stock stuff that comes in the back chambers and just run with only a heater for awhile to see what happens. I'll try it on my next water change Saturday and see what happens next week. I think all those sponges, bio balls and ceramic rings back there may be the cause.

@nita Let me know if you still have that skimmer. I'll ask around to see what another option in replacing the duck bill output with something else. I have the DX version, do you think the skimmer would fit?

Jhuneke
10-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Bringin this thread back :) Was wondering how the change worked out for you? I am trying to improve the water quality in my 8 gl aio rimless ( seahorse tank) been looking for a tiny hob skimmer with no real luck ( my back compartment is really small) If I can find one to fit.. I wondered about replacing the media cartridge ( sponge, carbon and chemipure) with one. How did removing the media help the nitrates? I wonder then how the water was without any filter to pass thru... is a skimmer in it's place enough to keep water quality good?
Thank you :)